Dere Street Barristers is one of the largest multi-disciplinary sets of chambers based exclusively on the North Eastern Circuit. We operate from premises in Newcastle and York.
We invite applications from new and established practitioners, including those who wish to transfer from the solicitors profession, to join each of our practice groups – civil, employment, family and crime – to meet demand for our services which has increased year on year since we formed in 2011.
Please address applications for tenancy to John Elvidge QC, Head of Chambers.
Chambers values individuality and independence, a strong work ethic and integrity. We particularly welcome applicants with a BAME background.
Reasons to apply –
- The opportunity to join a thriving chambers with large, well regarded practice teams operating across the disciplines
- A large experienced staff led by Head Clerk Phil Paxton, with dedicated clerks at each of our premises, in all –
- 4 family clerks
- 4 civil / employment clerks
- 4 criminal clerks
- A business development clerk, and
- 2 junior clerks
- Effective administration and a sound financial base
- Chambers is debt free
- Contributions to chambers’ expenses are by fixed percentage for all members and paid only on receipts; there is no minimum payment / standing order.
- We own our York premises.
- There is an option, but no obligation, to acquire a shares in our freehold premises for less than £5,000 (payable by instalments).
- A supportive professional environment
- Proactive practice development
- Teams within teams to nurture specialist interests
- Our own Mentoring and Judicial Mentoring Schemes
- No contributions to chambers expenses during maternal / parental leave and a phased return to work to suit your needs.
- Our commitment to high standards of service, a collegiate working environment, social responsibility and diversity.