‘An excellent advocate with considerable tactical acumen and a large and loyal following.’ - The Legal 500 2021
‘An experienced criminal junior. ' - The Legal 500 2020
Tony Davis practises in all areas of serious criminal law and is recognised as an experienced member of the criminal team.
He is regularly instructed by some of the top criminal firms in the North East Circuit particularly in large-scale investigations into organised criminal organisations which result in multi-count indictments alleging conspiracy to supply/importation and distribution of illegal drugs.
He has developed strong expertise in money laundering and lifestyle offences whether alleged against corporate bodies or individual offenders. He has been involved in many of the important proceeds of crime cases heard in the North East prosecuted by the Serious Fraud Office some of which have resulted in landmark Court of Appeal decisions.
Tony has a particular interest in all aspects of telecommunication evidence and offences. He has undertaken many cases involving allegations of historical sexual abuse and has continued to develop specialism in the mental health area particularly where cases involve young defendants with psychiatric difficulties.
Tony has co-authored the following books:
- The Right to Silence (Hodder 1996)
- Hung Jury (Hodder 1998)
- Abuse of Process (Hodder 1997)
- The Oath (Hodder 1999)
- R. v. Sayers & Colwell : : 2008 Serious Fraud prosecution of high profile OCG in North East of England which produced United Kingdoms first application to try Defendants without Jury.
- R. v. Ruddick EWCA : (2003 Crim 1061, 2004 Cr. App.Rep 7, 2003 Crim Law Review 734) – Confiscation and Proceeds of Crime Appeal case.
- R. v. M : 2010: Defence of Juvenile allegedly raping 2 Autistic children
- R. v. Wylde : 2001: Defence in respect of gangland execution
- R. v. Stewart : 2001: Defence of major distribution of Class A drugs in North of England.
- R. v. Thexton : Defence of OCG specialising in the Robbery of Cash from various institutions and involving multi police force investigation.
The Legal 500 2021
‘An excellent advocate with considerable tactical acumen and a large and loyal following.’
The Legal 500 2020
‘An experienced criminal junior. ‘
The Legal 500 2019
‘Noted for his expertise in money laundering cases.’
- BA (Hons)
- Grays Inn