Andrew specialises in Public Family Law and Inquests.
Andrew is regularly instructed to act on behalf of local authorities, family members, and children in care proceedings; from urgent applications through to finding of fact hearings, final hearings, and appeals. He has experience of cases involving allegations of serious physical and sexual abuse.
Andrew also represents clients in private law matters relating to children and domestic violence, and has experience of civil claims against local authorities arising from the family jurisdiction.
- Represented a mother accused of inflicting skull and rib fractures to her baby, where the medical consensus was that the injuries were likely to be non-accidental. Secured the return of the child to the mother’s care, with no adverse findings being made.
- Successfully appeared before Cohen J, securing the return of two children to the care of their mother, against the local authority’s plan of adoption (which was supported by the children’s guardian).
- 2015 – Inquests touching the deaths of Cpl James Dunsby, LCpl Craig Roberts, and LCpl Edward Maher. The deceased were Army reservists who suffered fatal heat injuries during a specialist military unit selection exercise in the Brecon Beacons in July 2013.
- 2019 – Inquest touching the death of Cpl Joshua Hoole, who died during an Army fitness test in the Brecon Beacons in July 2016. The Senior Coroner raised concerns that the Army had failed to learn lessons following the 2015 Inquests.
- 2020 – Inquest touching the death of Trevor Smith, who was shot and killed by a police firearms officer in March 2019.
- Ongoing – Inquest touching the death of Thomas Brookes, a 16-year-old child who died whilst he was the subject of a Care Order. Instructed on behalf of the Local Authority.
Bar Professional Training Course, Nottingham Law School
Graduate Diploma in Law, Nottingham Law School
MA (hons), Philosophy, University of St Andrews
Middle Temple Campbell Foster Prize (top 5% on the BPTC)
Middle Temple Harmsworth Scholarship
Nottingham Law School BPTC Scholarship
Warwick School Academic Scholarship
The Honourable Society of the Middle Temple
North Eastern Circuit
Family Law Bar Association