'She is really good, very sensible and a specialist in sexual offences. You want her on your side.' - The Legal 500 2019
'Prosecutes and defends in cases involving serious injuries to children/child deaths.’ - Chambers and Partners 2019
Julie prosecutes and defends all manner of criminal cases. Her particular expertise is in dealing with vulnerable defendants and witnesses, whether they be vulnerable by reason of extreme youth, mental illness, disability or simply due to their anxiety about the proceedings.
Consequently Julie is regularly instructed by the defence and prosecution to deal with cases of serious sexual offences ranging from historical abuse within families or institutions to more current cases involving dangerous offenders. Issues of fitness to plead and psychiatric issues relating to mens rea often arise in these cases and the use of special measures and intermediaries for witnesses and defendants are common place.
She is also instructed by both prosecution and defence in cases involving serious injury or death to children or death by dangerous driving which require particular sensitivity and involve complex issues of causation.
Julie also deals with firearms offences, serious violence (including homicide), large scale drugs offences and fraud. She has a particular interest in regulatory offences relating to farming and associated industries.
- Operation Viola – represented residential social worker who was charged with sexually abusing children in a school for maladjusted children in 1970s and 80s
- R v Crawford – represented defendant charged with rape dating back to 1980s when already serving life sentences for similar offences
- R v Ahmadi – represented defendant who faced child sexual exploitation offences concerning dozens of victims described by the Senior Investigating Officer as the most dangerous man he had ever dealt with
- R v Lakey – represented high profile Head Teacher charged with sexual offences against boys dating back to the 1980s
- R v Howse and Wilkinsonson – prosecuted parents of baby who sustained multiple injuries including a fractured skull who were charged with causing or allowing GBH (s5, Domestic Violence, Crime and Victims Act 2004)
- R v Burke and Nicholson – represented mother charged with causing or allowing death of 4 month old baby where baby exhibited signs of shaken baby (s5, Domestic Violence, Crime and Victims Act 2004)
- R v Urwin – represented man charged with death by dangerous driving after killing a cyclist whilst driving his car when he was suspected of suffering from obstructive sleep apnoea
- R v Thexton and others – prosecuted 8 defendants charged with conspiracy to pervert the course of justice by assisting another, described by National Crime Agency one of the 13 most wanted men living abroad, to evade apprehension
The Legal 500 2019
‘She is really good, very sensible and a specialist in sexual offences. You want her on your side.’
Chambers and Partners UK Bar 2019
Prosecutes and defends in cases involving serious injuries to children/child deaths.’
The Legal 500 2017
“Recommended for cases involving vulnerable defendants and witnesses.”
The Legal 500 2016
“An experienced advocate.”
The Legal 500 2015
“She is held in high regard by the judiciary and other counsel”
The Legal 500 2014
“She has fantastic client care skills and is completely reliable.”