"A skilled advocate who is very good in the courtroom and in negotiations. He is also very approachable for clients." "Extremely thorough and conscientious." - Chambers and Partners 2019
He has a great bedside manner with clients.’ - The Legal 500 2019
Called to the Bar 1990.
He concentrates on difficult financial cases arising from divorce, separation of cohabiting partners and civil partners. He is sought after where there are complex or novel legal and evidential issues, for example involving conduct, and in cases with jurisdictional and international implications.
He has a very strong background in dealing with intractable residence and contact disputes and acting for the local authority and children in difficult and controversial public law cases. He has a reputation for being undaunted by a difficult or unpopular brief.
In 2015 he represented the claimant in the first ever successful application brought for a Declaration of Presumed Death under the Presumption of Death Act 2013.
Member of Family Law Bar Association, Resolution, Collaborative Lawyer, Member of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators, Member of the Medico-Legal Society.
Married. Three teenage children.
Interests are family, family holidays, competitive cycling, supporting the children in sports and hobbies, church, charity fund raising, history, comparative religion (notably Christianity, Judaism and Islam), red wine and whisky.
- M v M (Contempt: Committal)  1 FLR 762For Respondent. Successfully established important principals in contempt of court proceedings where there is a parallel criminal case.
- Re Y (Evidence of Abuse: Use of Photographs)  1 FLR 855For the children. Established principals for obtaining and applying evidence from colposcopy.
- Re CC (Adoption Application: Separated Applicants)  EWHC 4815. Moylan JFor Local Authority. Child subject to care proceedings and placed for adoption and prospective adopters then separate and divorce before adoption order is made. Concluded.
- S v F  NE1400764. Roderick Wood J.Application to remove a Cuban-Italian child to Italy. Brussels II arguments over 2 days. Resolved. Instructed by Carol Lauder of Richmond Anderson Goudie, Chester le Street Durham. Against Elizabeth Lugg of Counsel.
- D v G  NE14P52445. HHJ Hudson sitting in the High Court. Single sex parents in international jurisdiction dispute regarding the appropriate forum for a child arrangements case.Re A (A Child)  EWFC 11. Sir James Munby, President. For Darlington BC, who having made major mistakes in pre-issue planning and assessment we’re headed for considerable criticism and needed experienced and respected representation
- N v N  YO11D00617 HHJ Heaton QC.Case involving allegations of serious and material non-financial misconduct. Hearing over 5 days, October 2015. Listed for ongoing application to set aside previous ancillary relief order on grounds of failure to disclose previous marriage. For Respondent Wife.
- Re GK [on the application of ZLJ]  A03NE032. [report pending]HHJ Simon Wood. First successful application ever brought under the Presumption of Death Act 2013. For the Claimant.
- K v A  NE10D01458 unreported. For Applicant in spousal maintenance application.International/trans-jurisdictional assets.
- K v S  NE14J00887 unreported, Financial remedy.For applicant. Respondent received £2 million damages plus yearly income of £120,000 as part of damages award. Respondent had varying needs since award made.
Chambers and Partners UK Bar 2019
“A skilled advocate who is very good in the courtroom and in negotiations. He is also very approachable for clients.” “Extremely thorough and conscientious.”
The Legal 500 2019
He has a great bedside manner with clients.’
Chambers and Partners 2018
“He is well prepared, thoughtful and has a wonderful client manner.”
“He is excellent. He pays keen attention to detail and is very strong on finance work particularly. His technical knowledge is very good and he is very good in court in terms of cross-examination. Clients like him.”
The Legal 500 2017
“Very experienced in financial cases arising from divorce and separation.”
Chambers and Partners UK Bar 2017
“Very experienced, he picks things up quickly and is good at getting into the subtleties of the case.” “In a complicated case, he knew which areas to focus on and was very easy to work with. We were so glad to have him on board.”
The Legal 500 2016
“He has great attention to detail and is able to come up with creative solutions.”
Chambers and Partners UK Bar 2016
“He is a really seasoned performer with excellent court craft.”
The Legal 500 2015
“He has a particular strength in understanding small, family-run businesses.”
- North Eastern Circuit
- Family Law Bar Association
- Collaborative law
- Chartered Institute of Arbitrators
- Inquest Lawyers Group
- Coroners’ Society of England and Wales
- Northern Coroners’ Society
- Medico-Legal Society